On the back of my success with making Baba Dudu recipe HERE, I decided to experiment. Dulce de leche is a caramel made from boiling down condensed milk. Very sweet too and chewy. If you’ve ever had the Hagen-daz’s dulce de leche caramel flavour, you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. Now, you can make you own Dulce de leche at home, and add to your homemade ice cream, or as a dip. If I let my sweet tooth roam wild and free, I can list a hundred things you can do with dulce de leche. Lol
My experiment, was to merge two caramel greats. Baba Dudu made with Coconut milk and Dulce de leche made with Condensed milk. Crazy, I know, but I wanted to see what I will get.
My oh my, it tasted like you popped both baba dudu and the Cadbury Eclair we grew up with in your mouth at the same time. It was lighter in colour, silkier and more chewy than baba dudu on its own. I am putting this down to the condensed milk. The best of both worlds I will say. WONDERFUL!!!
You know what I did afterwards. I went to the store to pick up my favourite Vanilla ice cream, and I cut up chunks of Baba dudu de leche into it. I licked the spoon to the last drop, and went for seconds. People have asked me, if I eat the food I cook? Yes I do and lots of it. I have my mother’s genes to thank for it, otherwise, I should weigh a ton by now. My sister eats like a horse and she is model skinny. All 6 feet of her, long legs and all. The famous saying “Never trust a skinny cook” doesn’t really hold water, if you have a metabolism that is faster than most. So, I have coined the phrase Baba dudu de Leche. Do you guys think I should patent it? Lol. I just might o, because when the Dooney’s Kitchen range of products hits the stores, this will definitely be on it. I added vanilla to it, and I am just envisaging a whole range of Baba dudu de Leche products. Vanilla, cinnamon, apple, orange, rose water, raspberry, etc. Lord, this child of yours is praying here o.
You will need
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of condensed milk
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract
1. Same process as Baba dudu, combine sugar, coconut milk, and condensed milk in a deep pot, and place on the cooker.
2. Bring to a boil and watch how the mixture bubbles up higher and higher. Hence, my tip above. Please use a deep pot
3. As the mixture boils, stir continuously, otherwise, it will burn. You may not experience this, but i noticed that black flecks were beginning to form at the base of the pot, I am guessing these were burnt bits of sugar. Just as it is turning dark brown, add the vanilla and continue stirring.
4. Keep stirring until it turns a darker shade of brown, and the resulting caramel is thick, dark brown, silky and shiny.
5. Pour into lightly greased moulds, and leave in the fridge to set.
When the moulds had set, I pondered on how to plate this.Then I remembered my Smurf souvenir. What better way to plate a caramel Sweet, than a figurine of a childhood character. So, in honour of the movie Smurf 2, here’s my Baba Dudu de Leche.
pick one, pop into your mouth, and feel the melting delicious goodness. Yeah, yeah, it’s bad for all our waistlines. Live a little. Lol………proceeding to running away slowly. Lol