I would like to start by saying thank you to all of you for a phenomenal year. I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I remember that I haven’t been doing this for up to two years. It has literally taken over my life, but in a good way. Years back when it felt like I was just going through the motions, I wake up now with so much purpose and dreams for the future. I am exactly where I wanted to be. Even the things that haven’t happened yet, I now know why they haven’t happened, and it has taken all the worry away. The re-design of the blog has stretched my nerves thin this year, I have finally come to the point of I surrender, and to be grateful that I can still do what I love, so I needed to end the year with a bang.
I feel like I have to reintroduce myself, in preparation for 2015. Hi my name is Dunni Obata and I am a tad obsessive. So, what does it mean to be a tad Obsessive. Well people like me go through what I can describe as phases of something. When I like something, I liiiike it and can’t get enough of it, I keep going back to it, and when I am done with that thing, oh dear, I am done, done, triple done. It happens with colours, with clothes, you name it. I have gone through my red, blue, pink, green, and brown phase. Now I am on white. Cray cray right? I went through flouncy dresses and skirts phase, now it is mini and midi skirts. There is NO flouncy skirt or dress in my wardrobe now. I can’t explain it, and unfortunately, looking back through the year, this does extend to people too. When we are done, we are done. Like cut the cord kind of done, you may never have existed. It has helped let go of toxic people to be honest, which can’t be a bad thing right? My friend Labake says remind me never to gravely offend you. Loooool. So when the need to be around you is over or you’ve messed up big time, we tend to move on pretty fast both in romantic and non romantic relationships. When we love, we love hard, we want someone, we do want that person badly, and it shows. Just don’t mess up or take that for granted cos you will be out of the door so fast, your head will spin. We do make good and loyal friends and lovers, of the annoying habits of being a tad obsessive, this is one of the positives, and it has helped me attract and keep really solid friendships this year.
With food, I went through a chin chin phase early in the year. I was skinny like crazy. I ate nothing but chin chin, now the thought of chin chin makes me gag. I am going through my Maltina/Malta Guinness and plantain chips phase currently and it is like an addiction. 2 bottles and 2 packets a day. I will never lose weight at this rate. The Malta Guinness bottle looks like an alcoholic drink, plus the word Guinness, and many a time I have had colleagues walk to my desk and say surely Dunni, work must not be that bad that you need alcohol to go through the day. I can’t count how many times I have had to show people the label to see for themselves. This got me thinking, why don’t I just add alcohol to Malta Guinness/Maltina? My mischievous brain was thinking, If I was the type that drinks, you know you can just pour in some alcohol in your flask, combine with Malta Guinness and pack with lunch. Who would know? They all think you are drinking a non alcoholic drink anyway. Let us take the Non out of the equation and make it alcoholic, shall we. And so people, in looking for ways to further excite my taste buds with Maltina, I have come up with some truly crazy recipes, one of which is this one.
P.S. – If you don’t cook with alcohol for medical or religious reasons, take out the Baileys. It still ROCKS, all the same, because I tried both.
You will need
1 bottle of Maltina (or any non alcoholic malt drink) – I used about 1/2 a cup
1 bottle of Baileys – 1/3rd cup of baileys
Nutmeg – sprinkling
A pinch of Salt
4 – 5 eggs
3 – 4 days old Agege bread
A dash of Vanilla extract
Cooking spray – or veg oil for coating the pan
1. Using a bread knife, slice the agege bread into medium sized slices. I personally prefer it not too thin. It was how my mother made it.
see, the bread isn’t exactly fresh. If you use Fresh bread, it would soak up the egg mixture too much and become yucky. Stale bread is more dense, and less air pockets.
I called Big Oladunni this morning for a quick recipe, because like her Pancakes (recipe HERE), she makes the best French Toast. Her reaction to my recipe was whaaaaaaat!!!!!, told her it would be fine. Hehehehehe
2. Pour in Matina with the eggs
if you are using Baileys, add it too
3. Add salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract
4. This was Mummy’s Tip – you need to whisk and whisk the egg mixture till it starts to foam and increase in size. I got out the hand mixer, straight. Hehehehehe
5. Soak the bread with the egg mixture. You can either do this in the same bowl or in a flat plate. While she was telling me her recipe, she said soak the bread with the eggs in a flat plate. Yes Mummy.
6. While you are waiting to make the french toast, prepare the sauce. Simply combine what’s left of the Maltina bottle and a shot or two of baileys, depending on how strong you want the sauce. Leave it on low heat to reduce till it forms a sauce. Watch it closely though, if it burns, it will be bitter. Hands up, I burnt my first batch too. Lol. If you are using only Maltina, same process. I must say thank you to Uzo of Uzo’s Food Labs though. I was researching reducing Baileys to form a sauce, and I thought of my readers who would not want to try this for the alcohol. Of course, Maltina was already on my mind, and it made me smile to see that she had tried it. Liquid Gold she calls it, and I 100% agree. When you reduce Maltina till it thickens. The taste is insane. Move over chocolate sauce, move over honey, move over maple syrup. Maltina syrup should be your go to drizzle for coffee, pancakes, oats, ice cream, milkshake, you name it.
7. Heat up your pan and coat with a little oil. Place the soaked bread on the hot surface and lower the heat, otherwise it will not cook through. Always listen to Mummy. I didn’t and I burnt the first batch, plus it was undercooked inside. Arrrrrrgh.
7. Watch closely, and as soon as one side has browned, flip it over
8. To ensure that it really cook through, place the frying spoon on the bread and press down firmly, to allow more heat to penetrate. This also makes the french toast crunchy
Repeat the process, till you exhaust the egg mixture and serve. Your baileys and maltina reduction should be ready by now, just drizzle on top, slather it more like, cos it is too awesome. Top with whipped cream, and to feel less guilty, add some fruit.
I thought square French Toasts are kinda boring, so I used a round food mould to cut out circles. You can use any shape you wish, you will just have to work fast, so it doesn’t get cold. Life of a food Blogger, we always eat cold or reheated food. Lol
Fruit on board
Sauce drizzled on, finished with whipped cream. Decadence at its best – Boozie Breakfast.
I shall be #fitfaming in January. I have to. Size 8 jeans were tight yesterday, retribution is here already. One more cocktail/milkshake recipe for tomorrow, in preparation for New’s Year’s eve. Thanks again for being a part of my year.