I love coconut milk so much, it can make me like anything, including my dear old Quinoa a.k.a pestilence and grief. Despite the many suggestions for Quinoa, in the savoury direction, I decided to head to the other side of the taste bud scale – sweet. I mean, if Granogi parfait can make me tolerate Ogi, something I have hated for over 20 years now, Quinoa is a recent addition to my food dictionary, and I was determined to conquer it.
When I paired this with Candied Egusi (recipe HERE), I finished a glass full. Never happened before. All my experiences with Quino have never gone beyond two spoonfuls, well, not entirely correct, I did enjoy a savoury Quinoa dish prepared by a colleague, but it was paired with rice, and just like with coconut milk, anythig paired with rice is a sure winner. This is very simple to make, so if like me you detest Quinoa, cook it with coconut milk, and serve with something sweet, like fresh fruits, raisins, or even candied Egusi.
From Pestilence and Grief to Sweet breakfast. Stranger things have happened. hehehehe
- ½ cup Quinoa
- Coconut milk
- Milk - optional
- Sweet toppings - your choice
- Heat up coconut milk in a pot
- While it is boiling, place your quinoa into a sieve and run under a cold tap for a few minutes, to get rid of any bitterness.
- Allow the coconut milk to come to a boil
- Add the rinsed Quinoa and then lower the heat.
- Quino needs to cook on low to medium heat for about 20minutes. It is also very absorbent like oats, so you may need to top up your coconut milk. I ran out, so I used milk. Cook until the grains are tender and almost transparent. Serve with a topping
No ingredient should be a total no-no. You just need to tweak it, and from out of something you hate, can some something you fall in love with. I am now Coco for Quinoa Porridge