I have been wanting to buy a mandoline for ages now, I just didn’t know which one to buy. Too many options, besides I am on a “Do not buy anymore kitchen gadgets or kitchen tools till 2015” pact with myself, although I walked into Lakeland yesterday and blew my pact. I swear that store is like Christmas everyday for anyone who loves their kitchen. Lakeland will burn a whole through your pocket very fast, but you can get such handy, quirky, not to be seen elsewhere, cute artsy kitchen tools. In my head, I have lots of plans for a mandoline, plantain chips one of them, until I saw my friend Labake’s post using a potato peeler to make plantain chips. If I tell you that I have had a potato peeler in my kitchen for almost 3 years and I have never used it, would you believe? I have a long list of things in my kitchen that I have never used. Stuff you buy for so cheap, you think at the time it is not an expensive purchase, only to enter your kitchen cupboard and never see the light of day again.
My potato peeler must have been happy to be finally put to use. I made some plantain chips on Saturday and had a good old time sitting on the sofa watching the gorgeous and incredibly sexy Rafael Nadal play at Wimbledon. He is such a delight to watch, with powerful thigh muscles and a great tennis player butt. Oh phlease, don’t tell me you haven’t noticed. If you haven’t, may I ask what you have been looking at when watching tennis? Good, Wimbledon is still on, observe male tennis players, they have very cute tushies. It must be from all that squatting. Djokovic is another one to watch, and not just for his skill at tennis. All that lean 6ft 3 frame of his, with lithe movements and strong arms. Rafael should model for Levi’s and permanently back the camera. Yes, I said so. Hehehehehe. Go watch Shakira’s Gypsy video and pause the video at strategic points. I am saving for centre court tickets to Wimbledon next year. Loooooool.
Before I drool over my computer, back to plantain chips. This is one to practice before the children close from school. You can make this in bucket loads and fry or grill. It will get them out of your hair for a while. You can also make in batches, salt and freeze, after which you fry from frozen, just like potato chips. It didn’t help that I was sitting on the sofa, wolfing down plantain chips, followed by Boiled Rice with Buka Stew, only for Maria Sharapova to come unto the screen and all that food felt like SIN. Her body is insane. I know she is an athlete and is expected to be toned but oh dear, I dropped my spoon for a bit, counting calories in my head and debating whether to double my evening run time. Hahahahaha, and my father tried to teach me tennis oh, I have the manual dexterity of a 2 year old and could never hit the ball, the man gave up. Oh well, my children must play tennis by force. Lol
You will need
Unripe plantains – or slightly ripe
Sunflower oil – for frying
As for spicy, you have an entire smogersbord of spicy seasonings to use.
1. Peel the skin off the unripe plantain. Holding it longitudinally in one hand, use the potato peeler in the other hand in an up-down direction to carve out long thin strips.
2. Once you have exhausted one plantain, move on to the next and keep at it. This process is quite fast, and you can peel a lot of plantains in a few minutes. Dooney’s Kitchen Tip: You can also make in big batches, salt and freeze in plastic bags, after which you fry from frozen, just like potato chips
3. Sprinkle over the seasonings of your choice
4. If you are going to grill, place on a foil lined tray, spray with a little oil and whack under the grill at 200 (celsius) for 10 minutes. This is the healthy option
5. For we that love all things fried, heat up oil in a deep saucepan, and allow it to get quite hot
6. Pour in the seasoned plantain chips and fry until golden brown
7. Sieve out of the oil and drain on kitchen paper towels
You can make it even more spicy by sprinkling over the spice mix you used while the chips were still raw.
Stop paying for plantain chips, it is too easy to make my yourself.
Golden crunchy goodness, that is sure to please.