A hilarious picture on Instagram about how Steak is supposed to be cooked, followed by even more hilarious comments inspired this post. I was sharing my experience with ordering eggs when on holiday to France, and how snobbish French waiters and I rub each other the wrong way. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like runny eggs. I hate the smell of raw eggs, and the taste too, so i like my eggs well done and slightly burnt too, anything to totally get rid of the eggy smell. My sensitivity to eggs is so strong, i can smell and taste it in cakes. Yup, I can. My baker friend Tayo always marvels how I can still smell eggs in cake. Frosting and meringue, she can understand, but cake. “Dunni, you are very weird”, she says, but I can’t help it. Now imagine the look on my face when i order a scrambled egg or an omelette and it is still runny. Ugh!!!!! No way. I always proceed to sitting up straight, bring out the British accent in full force, so they won’t think I am some girl from the village, hehehehehehehe, because you can see it on their face, that, that is what they are thinking. I always send my plate back, but from henceforth, i will try to be sweet, pleasant and nice, so they don’t spit in my food. I have been warned. hehehehehe.
As for the Steak, oh dear Lord, story for another day. I must not see pink or blood, which for some reason they call “juice”. Someone stop me now, how is blood juice, where, how, why. Ugh!!!! Ruin my steak, thank you very much. Yes, I have been told I am missing the joys of medium rare steak, errr, no. Not even if Jamie Oliver himself cooked it. Well done, Sir, thank you very much. All the talk of eggs and steak gave me a hankering for my mum’s Omelette. Big Oladunni understood very well. Her Omelette was always golden and slightly burnt, just how I love it. Omelettes showed up for breakfast and dinner. We had this phrase “making breakfast for dinner”, which basically implied that we were eating meals traditionally designed for mornings, at night.
Mummy’s idea, and thinking about it again, she was on to something. When the poor woman was tired, whipping up a breakfast meal for dinner, is a very good idea. It was exciting for us to eat bread and eggs, yam and pepper sauce and even pancakes for dinner. Smart woman. When you have a family to feed and you are exhausted, you get creative. Taking a leaf out of my mother’s book, I made this omelette for dinner. Usually, I like my omelettes plain, but as i had some leftover chopped veg in my fridge, i decided to make a stir fry. Rather than use meat, fish or chicken, i added eggs to it, and ladies and gentlemen, that is a wholesome meal, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Let’s Cook
- Thinly sliced mix veg - your choice of veg
- chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Ata Lilo
- 1 tsp dry pepper (cayenne pepper) or Suya Pepper
- vegetable oil or butter
- 3 - 4 eggs
- Stock cube - optional
- P.S. You can bulk it up with mackerel, sausages, chicken, etc
- Use a food processor or sharp knife to slice your veg thinly, or simply buy a pack of veg stir fry
- Chop onions and lightly saute in a pan with vegetable oil or butter
- Add in the fresh ata lilo and fry for a bit
- Mix in the fresh veg, add salt and/or stock cube, dry pepper (cayenne pepper) or Yaji (suya pepper) and stir till the veggies wilt and take on flavour. Dooney's Kitchen Tip: you need the veg to wilt a little, not totally cook through as they should still have some crunch to them.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl till fluffy, season with salt ad/or stock cube, add to the pan, and lightly move the pan in a circular motion to spread the eggs, reduce the heat, and also cover the frying pan, to allow the eggs cook slowly. Dooney's Kitchen Tip: covering the pan will allow steam to cook the top of the eggs, while the bottom cooks through, giving you moist eggs. The operative term here being moist, and not runny. Unless you like runny eggs.
- Take it off the heat and serve.
- You can choose to also serve with it flipped over. See the burnt bits. Yum!!!
Something to try for breakfast tomorrow or dinner. Happy Democracy day Nigeria!!!!!