First, I have to apologise that this isn’t going to come with plenty step by step pictures, because I was supposed to recreate this recipe at home yesterday, told myself, I would be taking just a short nap, and I woke up this morning. hahahahahaha. This recipe is so simple though, you can do it in your sleep, so you will do fine. It is something to try for this weekend, especially for those in the UK who may be planning a barbecue for the bank holiday, to mark the end of summer. Me thinks, summer ended 3 weeks ago to be honest. it is getting cold again, and all that rain. Sad face.
You can make this sauce also as a dip. I learnt how to make this sauce at the cocktails at party bites event at the waitrose cookery school, and when the cooking instructor made his and told us to taste before we made ours, while we really enjoyed it, Tope and I said we were going to ease of on the vinegar a bit, because it tasted too tart, and would you believe that by adjusting the recipe, ours tasted better. Yup, it did.
You have been having fried chicken for probably as long as you can remember, you have also been making barbecue sauce, probably for as long too, but this particular sauce, yum, yum, yummiest. Try and stop at the shops today or tomorrow would you, and pick up all the ingredients that you need. Let’s Cook
- For the sauce
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3tbsp clear honey
- seasoning cubes - optiona
- 1½ - 2 tbsp white wine vinegar - or any vinegar
- 2 tbsp ground chipotle chilies - you can use dry pepper or suya pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes - optional
For the Fried Chicken
- oil for deep frying
- plain flour
- sprinkling of dry pepper - cayenne pepper or smoked paprika
- chicken wings
- First, you have to set your deep fryer to 180 degrees, or if you are using a pot, add enough oil to deep fry and place on the heat till it get hot enough.
- First you have to start with the chicken, so in a bowl, combine all the ingredients, i.e. the flour, dry pepper, chili flakes, suya pepper, salt, seasoning cubes (if you are using). Ensure that they are well combined. Add the chicken and toss around until every part of the chicken is well coated with flour.
- When the oil is hot enough, shake off any excess flour from the chicken and place in the oil to deep fry. Dooney's Kitchen Tip: if you are using a pot, I would advice that you don't get the oil too hot, otherwise, the outside will fry quickly and turn brown, leaving the chicken inside partly cooked or even raw
- While the chicken is deep frying, quickly make the sauce by whisking together all the liquid ingredients in a bowl. Add as much dry pepper or suya pepper to it as you want, to raise the heat up a notch. Here was Tope preparing the sauce, while i fried the chicken
- Once the chicken has browned outside sufficiently, drain any excess oil on a kitchen paper towel, and add the fried chicken to the bowl you mixed the sauce in. Toss it around until well combined. Dooney's Kitchen Tip: it is advisable that you combine the chicken with the sauce while it is still very hot, so that it can absorb as much of the flavour, and be sticky and yum
- Serve with a cheese dip,or on its won with other delicious goodness from the grill, or even a salad
Try this recipe and tell me what you think.